Re: a present for Graham

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: a present for Graham
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:27:50 +0000

On 2/17/11, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
> I wanted to make Graham happy, so looked through the tracker, picked
> an existing frog issue and made a patch without discussing it for 5
> hours.

Yay!  :)

> I think it doesn't make sense to post it on Rietveld...
> It's here (112 kB, too big for an attachment):
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/j3yq1e

Hmm.  I think that if a patch is too big for Rietveld, then maybe it's
worth splitting it up into multiple separate patches.

> I wanted to check if everything is fine, so i called
>   make test
> from ~/lilypond-git/build directory (or should have i done something
> different?)

This is correct.

> Unfortunately i got an error and i don't understand what went wrong, i
> don't see any names of the files i modified. Here's the end of the
> log:

This one is important:

> Failed files: (78/lily-8f0aedaa.ly)

If you look in out/lybook-testdb/  DIR/FILENAME
then you'll see the file that fails.  That file will include a
\sourcefilename
which points out that this particular file is
  figured-bass-continuation-forbid.ly

> I hope this doesn't mean any serious problems and my work will be
> useful for you...

We'll need at least one more draft of this patch, to deal with the
above problem.  But see below about the future versions...

> PS Unfortunately i was not sure what to do in some cases, but that's
> only 12 regtests out of 250 that didn't end on a barline.

That's no problem!  If you can handle the "easy" regtests, then
somebody else can look at the more complicated / unusual ones.

More thoughts:
- if the regtest already contains a time signature, then altering the
time signature is a good solution -- but I'd rather not see a *new*
time signature if the regtest didn't already contain one.
- if the music already contains a lot of s-rests, then go ahead and
use an s rest.  But in general, I prefer having "real" rests (with r8
or r16 and the like).
- if the patch is too large to send to the mailing list, then chances
are it's too large.  :)

Recommendation:
- pick 50 (or so) of the "easiest" regtests to modify.  Ones that only
require a change of existing time signature, or adding a rest or two.
- check that it compiles after your changes. (again, don't touch any
regtest that looks at all unusual!)
- send me a patch for those regtests.  Once that's pushed, make
another patch for another 30-50 regtests, etc.  It's totally fine to
split this up over 5-10 commits!