Re: Draws a line above footnotes (issue4167063)

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Draws a line above footnotes (issue4167063)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 10:24:10 -0500

Hey Bertrand,

Thanks for taking the time to look this over!

On Feb 21, 2011, at 8:04 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> Wow, nice job Mike !
> I am also currently trying to solve this issue.
> With Scheme only I managed to do a good solution for endnotes.

Scheme is a good idea for endnotes because endnotes would not need to be
specially accounted for in the C++ spacing algorithms - you can effectively
throw a slew of markups @ the end of a document & the page breaking algorithms
will handle them correctly.

> I have some suggestions for your work :
> * There should be more space between separator line and footnotes.

I'm gonna make this tweakable in the next version of the patch

> * Maybe a smaller separator, like LaTeX does. line-width / 3 for
> example.

I'm also gonna make this tweakable.

> * Maybe spread the footnotes on several columns, like this :
> 1      4      7
> 2      5      8
> 3      6

This would be really hard to institute as default behavior - LaTeX can
automatically wrap text, but the way I have it the algorithm now, footnotes are
just markups.  People can choose to wrap them or not.  Perhaps I'll have a
layout configuration that can be passed to the footnote maker so that it can
place things according to a user-defined ordering.

> * A more user-friendly set of commands ?

Once I get more comments in, I'll figure out what these should look like & do
it.

> * This doesn't support text footnotes...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean...attached is the example file I've been
generating using the .ly file I sent out to the list yesterday. This example
has text.

> But this is a great work, indeed !

Thank you very much for your helpful comments!

Cheers,
Mike