Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 16:08:20 -0000

--
Phil Holmes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:05 PM

Hi,

while i'd love to improve beaming algorithm itself so that it would
produce perfect beams on its own, it's a task way beyond my current
skills. Still some wrong beams bother me very much, for example this
one
 \relative c'' { b8[ a16 g] }
it's really too high, and the secondary beam doesn't cover the
staffline despite being able to easily do so. Compare it to \relative
c'' { g8[ f16 e] } - this one is more difficult (more stafflines to
take care of), but executed better.
I'd like to improve this situation and here is my idea: add a list of
beaming "exceptions". Every time someone spots a beam done wrong,
(s)he can write how proper beaming should look like and add it to
source. When Lily would encounter a beam included in the list of
exceptions, it would use that information instead of calculating beam
on her own.
What do you think? Would it require much work? (i mean implementing a
way to add such exceptions, not filling this list)

Jan,

I'm not qualified to comment, and it seems it would be hard work, but you might be interested in this snippet in the music I'm setting now. To me, the shorter beams look rather squashed, and I'm surprised they're not the same height as the longer ones, since the notes are so similar:

{
 \key d\major
fis'16 ( [ a'16 fis'16 a'16 d'16 a16 ) ] g'16 ( [ a'16 g'16 a'16 cis'16 a16 ) ] }