Re: Toolchain to get scores into video?

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: Toolchain to get scores into video?
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:21:08 +0000

The google tracker issue does work in as much as the main point of this is
to split the Lilypond score into 'lines' and each line is exported to an
EPS file - this bit is done by Lilypond (IIR) you can then manually put
each line into a video using most standard video editing software, this
bit is done by the 'user'.

The trick though is that this doesn't really 'follow along' as much as
display a line of a system until the 'end' of that line, and then display
the next whole line. So it;s really just a series of 'screenshots', the
user also has to determine the change of each line by manually playing
along the music separately and then, using the software, pressing keys to
indicate the change of the next line.

Then (again using the video software) you use the timing marks created
manual, the music itself (that can be generated separately as midi from
LilyPond or be a real recording) and the snippets of music to create a
'video'. It works but it is very clunky, takea a fair bit of work. If you
are comfortable with your video editing software, and have a good
recording of you music then fine, but I am not sure it is quite the same
as a 'follow along' video.

Mike S was doing some interesting things with SVG output - yo may remember
a few months ago he had LilyPond output jiggling about in webpages. I
discussed the possibility of making this a 'movie' such that the score
would 'appear'a note at a time, Mike intimated this was possible but that
getting the timing just right would be non-trivial.

It just depends on how much 'manual' editing and tweaking one wants to do
and whether the amount of work required is worth it.

James