Re: shortened flags affair, part 5 - length of notes extending far from

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 5 - length of notes extending far from staff
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:06:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:54 AM

Gardner Read does not deal much with beam placement.  Kurt Stone
says that the beam in this case should straddle the middle line,
which Lily does (see image).  He says that for double and multiple
beams, stems are usually lengthened by half a space for each
additional beam, but when 3 or more beams are used there is no rigid
rule and a balance has to be struck between being too close to the
note head and being too long.  I actually think Lily does a pretty
good job here.

Well, yes, but you are missing the point, I think: We are talking
about stem lengths for notes with three or more ledger lines.

As far as I can see from the books, that makes almost no difference. Stems for unbeamed notes still touch the middle staff line. Ross shows that beams hang below the middle line for notes below C for the treble clef, whereas they straddle for the C.

--
Phil Holmes