Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:12:59 +0100

Keith OHara schreef op vr 11-03-2011 om 09:16 [-0800]:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:32:39 -0800, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

> The structure that *can* contain several channels is a Port, separate
> Ports corresponding to separate cables in the hardware.  One can
> optionally specify a different Port for each Track (making Tracks and
> Channels no longer purely orthogonal)
>   http://www.somascape.org/midi/tech/mfile.html#meta
> but I have no reason to expect a software midi player to support
> multiple ports.

So if we put track 0 to port 0, track 1 to port 1 etc., we would
technically be correct?  Midi players would have the option to
ignore ports, as long as they do not lump together channel 0 of
track 0 and channel 0 of track 1 -- a midi player does see the
tracks after all.

Technical correctness probably has little merit if no player
supports it, but it is worth a try.  Setting ports should be
quite easy and if major players support this, we're safe.

Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl