Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:15:19 -0800

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:12:59 -0800, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

Technical correctness probably has little merit if no player
supports it, but it is worth a try.  Setting ports should be
quite easy and if major players support this, we're safe.

I know nothing about this, but some other people with similar goals are
http://www.classicalmidiconnection.com/2port.htm

Remember, without this hack, midi2ly cannot
recreate it's own midi files if they use voices.

With the fixes in the above commits, even wtk1-fugue2.ly (one of
the nice test examples that was removed and not put back) can
be nicely recreated by midi2ly.

To preserve more organizational information, use more Tracks.
There can be up to 65535 Tracks in a midi file.  The correspondence could be:
 single Port
 Staff_performer <-> Channel
 Voice <-> Track

midi2ly puts each track on its own staff by default (which is probably safest,
and not a problem because re-arranging the variables in staves is one of the
easier things to do in LilyPond).  To associate several Tracks with one staff,
you could write a staff-association into Track Name ( event 0xFF03 ).