Re: shortened flags affair, part 7 - downstem full-length 64th and 128th

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: shortened flags affair, part 7 - downstem full-length 64th and 128th flags
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:25:31 -0600

On 3/15/11 3:24 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> there is quite a lot of space between flag and the notehead in case of
> downstem 64th and 128th notes (at least compared to 16th and 32nd
> flags). I *suppose* these flags were made this way because they were
> intended for use with both shortened stems and full-length stems, and
> if the gaps were smaller, the flags would look bad on shortened stems.
> However, we are going to have dedicated flags for shorter stems soon,
> so maybe we want to tweak the design of 64th and 128th downstem flags
> to something roughly like suggestion.png?

I prefer the new ones to the old ones, but I think that all of them need
further adjustment.  In the words of Read (p. 80)

"For each additional flag beyond two, the stem is extended by two staff
degrees [1 staff space -- my addition], and the new flag is drawn parallel
to the previous one(s), with the additional curved line joining the curved
line of the first flag."

In the 64th and 128th flags currently in the Feta font, the lines are not
parallel at all, and I think that makes the flags look unbalanced.

Thanks,

Carl

P.S. Janek, Amazon has used copies of Read in paperback for $9.97.  At that
price it may be worth purchasing.