Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 18:59:05 -0400

On Mar 19, 2011, at 6:49 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 11:05:34PM +0100, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 19. März 2011, um 17:27:23 schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
>>> Technically I much prefer the 1 pass solution, although it requires
>>> constraints on how the marks are formatted (with padding space for
>>> small numbers.)
>>
>> But practically as a publisher of critical editions, I not only prefer, but
>> require a solution where both one-digit and two-digit footnotes are spaced
>> properly.
>
> What about just adding an
> \override Footnote #'max-number = #99
> tweak for now?  (default to #9).
>
> I agree that another solution would be better in the long run, but
> for the purpose of keeping patches separate and stuff, would this
> be an ok stopgap solution?
>
> Cheers,
> - Graham

Attached are two one-pass solutions with different guesses for the initial
width and one result of a two-pass solution.

I think that the one-pass results are ugly enough that, given the fact that
implementing a two-pass solution requires 30ish lines of code, it should be
rolled into the same commit.

Cheers,
MS

PNG image