Re: Removing parser DIGIT (was: PATCH - DOC: Added @knownissue to NR for

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Removing parser DIGIT (was: PATCH - DOC: Added @knownissue to NR for fingering
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:39:53 -0600

On 3/22/11 11:20 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 12:48:21PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Perhaps i'll aim for obliterating DIGIT altogether.
>>
>> I certainly can't think of any case in which we actually need/want
>> a DIGIT.  I see that DIGIT was added in release/0.1.49, back in
>> 1998-03-17, as part of the initial version of lexer.ll and
>> parser.yy.  Maybe it was just part of some template code that they
>> used?  Certainly a lot has changed in the past 13 years.  :)
>>
>> I definitely think it's worth investigating what happens if we
>> remove DIGIT entirely.
>
> This.
>
> <URL:http://codereview.appspot.com/4311041>
>
> Please improve/discuss.  This looks totally insane but does not actually
> change the existing absurd realities for single-digit unsigned numbers.
>
> I consider this patch the wrong way and hope everybody agrees, but it
> _mirrors_ the current behavior for single-digit unsigned numbers.

Well, if there is no other way, then I could see that we could torture this
to make it work properly.

I'm way over my head in understanding the lexer and the parser, so my input
is probably worth even less than you've paid for it, but would it be
possible to create a finger_event as one of the post_event class and remove
it from gen_text_def?  To my untrained eye, it seems that that might solve
the problem of making the fingering event from the assignment operator.

Thanks,

Carl