Re: using the feta font in a GPL2 application

From: Florian Jung
Subject: Re: using the feta font in a GPL2 application
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:48:05 +0200

Am 28.03.2011 20:21, schrieb Han-Wen Nienhuys:
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden>  wrote:
As far as permission to use it the current font under GPL2, I think
Han-Wen
and Jan need to give that permission.
i assume Han-Wen and Jan also read that mailing list, so i'm asking for
permission to use the current font :)
I believe that *everybody* who has worked on the feta fonts would need
to give that permission.  You can find this list by looking at the git
changelog messages for those files, but I do not recommend going
further with this.  I really recommend that you either use the old
GPLv2 feta fonts, or use GPLv3 (possibly 3+) for your application.

It's unfortunate that copyright law gets in the way like this, but it does.
Well, only if anyone decides to make an issue of this, and it's not
like we claim any sort of rights over images of the font when we put
them on paper or screen. I think you can just go ahead with muse2.

I'd recommend using freetype for the rendering instead btw, as you'll
be more flexible wrt symbol sizes on screens of different device
resolutions.
may i read that as a "feel free to use the font, if someone decides that he doesn't like that, he will kindly ask you to use another font instead of killing you immediately" :)?

thanks for your answer :)
flo