Re: Policy about not-yet-regression tests?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Policy about not-yet-regression tests?
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 07:28:00 +0200

>> > I think the issue tracker is the best place for that.  It's true
>> > that sometimes issues get fixed magically, and occasionally we
>> > look through the regtest to identify those.
>>
>> Uh, what?  If bugs must not be added to the regtest, how can looking
>> through the regtest help with identifying bugs that have been fixed?
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that bugs must not be added to a
> regtest.  Rather, I mean to suggest that it is false that every
> patch must be added to a regtest.
>
> For example, look at Mike's recent
> b4b6904a4e8c3468a33960de2f9fa96645e54542
>
> Do we seriously need a regtest for this particular bugfix?  I
> don't think so.
>

> In an attempt to forestall a long and probably fruitless policy
> discussion, I'm going to say this: do whatever seems reasonable.
>
> - if you have a bugfix and want to add a regtest, go ahead.
> - if you have a bugfix, but no regtest, and somebody thinks that
>   the bugfix *should* have a regtest, they'll let you know.
> - if you have a bug, but no bugfix, then don't add a regtest.
>   Add it to the tracker instead.
> - when somebody fixes that bug, if they don't add a regtest,
>   you can let them know.

How do I notice that somebody fixed the bug by accident if I am not
allowed to add a check for the bug to the regtests?

Am I supposed to keep a _private_ regtest for bugs I report, checking it
periodically to make sure that the bug is still there?

That makes me a single point of failure.  I am not confident that this
is a good idea...