Re: branching

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:41:33 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Friday, April 15, 2011 8:40 PM

How do we define the difference between "stable development" and "unstable development"? It seems to me that "stable development" means we pass the regtests -- we've been doing that for at least a couple of years. But we still end up with regressions when users test the code beyond what the
developers have tested.

As long as we have a policy that any regression will delay a stable release for two weeks, it seems to me that we *must* stop adding features in order
to get a stable release.  We can't prevent unintended regressions.

+1

OTOH, if the standard for "ready-to-release" were "make check succeeds and no segfaults have been identified", then we've been ready to release a
stable version for a long time now.

There is an alternative.  Look back through git history
and choose a point earlier than any recent iffy development
and branch out from there.  Cherrypick more recent good
bugfixes and apply them.  Also cherrypick any more recent
developments which have not caused user problems.  With care
that will give a good stable release, and permit the
master branch to continue with development unimpeded.  This
process can be repeated at any time to enable stable releases
to be issued more frequently.

Trevor