Re: Uploading a patch to Rietveld

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Uploading a patch to Rietveld
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:36:59 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Lowe" <address@hidden> To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 5:28 PM

Hello,

)-----Original Message-----
)From: address@hidden
)[mailto:address@hidden On
)Behalf Of Phil Holmes
)Sent: 02 May 2011 17:16
)To: Graham Percival
)Cc: address@hidden
)
)----- Original Message -----
)From: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
)To: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
)>
)> In the end, I nuked the git directory (having copied my changes
)> elsewhere) and started from scratch.  It's at
)> http://codereview.appspot.com/4428077/
)> but hopefully this should be announced properly.
)>
)> --
)> Phil Holmes
)
)
)BTW - it might be worth mentioning in the CG that "git cl upload
)origin/master" at one point fires you into vi.  For windows users, that's a
)bit of an issue - took me a couple of searches to confirm it was vi, and
)then find the way of saving and exiting.
)

Not necessarily, when I tried it the first time fired me into some other editor (can't remember what it was but it looked like an 'info' type window). I had to change it myself to 'vi' because I prefer that.

So that might be specific to your install.

The CG does tell you how to change your editor - at least that is where I got the information form to do it.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/setting-up

The example we give is nano.

git config --global core.editor nano

and you'll see an explicit TODO from 'mp' to give instructions for Windows on the next line although I don't think that is what you are asking is it? I guess if someone is getting to stage of using git-cl in a terminal is there a level of expectation on knowing how to use or what vi/editor_of_choice is?

James

I'd not even read that page, since I'm only using the Git command-line with line-by-line copying from the CG. So I think I was using the default editor, and vi is not the most user friendly! It would have saved me some time and concern with a note saying you may be fired into vi which requires ESC to get out of insert mode, i to get into it, and ZZ to save and exit when in command mode.

--
Phil Holmes