GOP-PROP 0: meta-discussion about the discussions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP-PROP 0: meta-discussion about the discussions
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 00:00:40 +0100

The below is copied from
http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/

There are a number of policy decisions -- some of them fairly
important -- which we have been postponing for a few years. Now
that 2.14 is out, we will finally begin tackling them

More background is here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/policy-decisions

Meta-policies

To summarize and/or hopefully avoid useless fluffy discussions:

    * Topics will be introduced by Graham. He will put an agenda
      for the next month (or so) on
      http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/
    * We will only seriously discuss topics when we have adequate
      background research.
    * Emails about policy questions will begin with GOP-PROP: in
      the subject line. Adjust your email filters accordingly,
      depending on whether you are interested or not in such
      discussions.
    * For each policy question, there will be at least one week
      for free-ranging discussion. At that point, Graham will
      summarize the discussion and announce a "probable decision".
    * We will then have one more week to let people point out
      flaws in the summary, make additional arguments, etc.
    * There should be no surprises, no time pressure, etc. If you
      are particularly concerned about a decision but lack
      time/energy to join the discussion, just say so and we will
      postponed the decision. I want to have clear, final,
      unambiguous decisions; if that takes a long time, so be it.

Agenda

(bad copy&paste job deleted; look at the webpage, or wait for
emails to come)