Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 1: python formatting
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:58:11 +0200 (CEST)

Graham:
> (this proposal will be rushed because nobody will argue against
> it. Initial discussion 6 June, summary and tentative decision 8
> June, implementation 10 June)

Having set a policy about policy discussions and then breaking it
the first thing you do is not a good policy.

If there is no rush, don't break the rules. On the contrary, how
can I feel confidence in the rules if they are beeing broken.

> Proposal: let’s follow PEP-8.
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
>
>     * use 4 spaces per indentation level
>     * never max tabs and spaces

In the code I presume, in strings this wouldn't apply.

>     * Code indented with a mixture of tabs and spaces should be
>       converted to using spaces exclusively

Presenting rules without rationales, gives no ground for decisions.
One could the feeling that this is pure nonsense. If you really
care about this, provide a pretty printer instead, and stipulate
that all code should go through that.

I propose instead:

. Don't ever provide patches whith white space changes (in the code)
  unless the patch is only about white space changes

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148