Re: guile 2.0 and ghostscript 9.0

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: guile 2.0 and ghostscript 9.0
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:50:37 +0100

On 07/06/11 02:32, Patrick McCarty wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> What's the plan+status of these?
>>
>> I'd like to have the first release candidate for 2.16 in 3-4
>> months. Â If we think that we can sort out any problems with those
>> dependencies... or any other build dependencies, for that
>> matter... then let's start merging them.  If not, they can wait
>> until 2.17.
>
> I can only speak for the status of LilyPond + Guile 2 on LilyPond's side.
>
> - Issues in the Scheme code base.  This is mostly backwards-compat
> work dealing with macro usage.
>
> - Build system support for compiling and installing Guile 2 .go (Guile
> Object) files; without using the .go cache, Guile 2 is *very* slow...

I had started looking at the hooks we need to provide on the Lilypond
side to support this.  I'll get back onto this now I'm no longer busy
being ill or getting fixed up.

Current plan is to be able to run up Lilypond with -d compile-scheme #t
(default #f) and have this produce our .go files in a sensible place and
exit.

I did some prototyping on the load routines for scheme files in lily.scm
as well.  I'll update Issues and cook up a patch as my next piece of work.

Cheers,
Ian