Re: problem with beam collision (was: problem with cross-staff stems,?on

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: problem with beam collision (was: problem with cross-staff stems,?on lilypond-user)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:45:47 +0100

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:06:35PM +0200, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> 2011/6/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > Is this problem likely to be unfixed?  Or is there a compelling
> > reason to override our normal doc policy in this specific case?
> > I am always happy to grant exceptions if there is a good reason.
>
> I'd say that what we have here is an "architecture which may be
> interpreted as bug".
> (ofc it will be nice if the architecture was improved, but it isn't
> necessary buggy)

I don't care whether it's a "bug" or an "architecture".  Is it a
problem?  yes.  I'm not arguing about that.

Now, should we discuss this problem in the official Notation
reference?  Well, that depends on whether the problem is likely to
be fixed in the next year or so.

If Keith, or Mike, or Han-Wen, tells me "yes, we have absolutely
no plans on changing this bug/architecture/problem/geography in
the next few months", then our policy states that we should
discuss this in the Notation reference.  If not, then our policy
states that we should *not* discuss this in the Notation
reference.

> At the end of the day, i'd like to have something in the docs that
> helps avoiding this problem with cross-staff stems and beam collision.
> We may name it whatever we want.

Then I suggest you add it to LSR, and tag it with "docs".  That's
much faster and less messy than editing files in git!