Re: Logfiles from build

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Logfiles from build
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:41:53 +0100

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 09:34:38AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> I'm now thinking it would actually be better to gather all the
> output from make in a single directory, something like
> build/makelogs.  That way, you'd only need to look in one place for
> any failing logged output, and it would probably be the most recent
> that gives the clues.
>
> Does this seem like the best way to proceed?

Yes, with one caveat: I think that Reinhold (and the previous
developers that he alluded to) has valid concerns with displaying
error messages.  Before any work is done on the central log/ or
build-log/ directory, I would really like to have the capability
to automatically display the tail of a log-file which did not
complete 'make' successfully.

Again, on the shell, it would be something like this:
  make ...blah... || echo "build failed" && tail logfile
but there might be a nicer way to do it.