Re: Replace Tab with 8 Spaces for .py files (issue4627062)

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: Replace Tab with 8 Spaces for .py files (issue4627062)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 19:49:02 +0200

[slightly offtopic tab size rant ;-)]

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 04:44:21PM +0100, Graham Percival wrote:
> In the old/bad style that emacs produced, one tab was used to
> represent 8 spaces.  Yes, it was doubly confusing.

Well, no. People and/or editors who used one tab per indentation
level (and probably fiddling with the displayed *tab* width other
than 8 spaces) where confused.

Whenever I see any file that needs a tab width other than 8 spaces
to display correctly (be it programs, be it configuration files),
I get *very* upset.

That said, as people today don't know the difference between tab
width and indentation, it's still good to forbid tabs at all in
lilypond ;-)

Ciao,
        Kili

ps: when I started working on unix (in the late 80ths), I abused
tabs for indentation, too. But it took me only a few months to
recognize that error.