Re: does anybody care about LSR?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: does anybody care about LSR?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:43:09 +0100

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:30:49AM +0200, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm suggesting that we just dump the whole thing on Phil.  He can
> > choose how picky (or not) to be about explanations, indentation,
> > looking for duplicates, etc.
>
> I wasn't aware that there were so many people wasting your time (and
> other devs') repeatedly asking about explanations, indentations etc.

Take a look in git.  Who's been editing the import script, doing
updates, editing the LSR section in the CG, etc?

> But yes, I am certainly confident Phil can handle it just fine. I can
> help too (I know my track record with LilyPond is awfully bad these
> days but in spite of every task where I've dropped the ball, I don't
> think I've left a single LSR-related request unaddressed in the past
> four years).

Excellent!  I'll let you and Phil sort out who wants to do what.

> > 1. nobody is offering to touch the code behind it.  So don't say
> > "hey, it would be great if LSR could automatically xyz" unless you
> > think you can program the xyz yourself.
>
> There certainly /are/ things "we" can do in a long-term perspective,
> but probably not within Sebastiano's Java/Tomcat/ERW design.

Yes, it's a shame that nobody ever looked into Tomcat.  I'm sure
that there's tutorials and blogs and stuff out there about how to
do this.  This could be a nice 10-hour Frog project, if anybody
was interested in recuiting+mentoring such an effort.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if there's somebody reading
lilypond-user who deals with this stuff for their day job, and can
set up this stuff in their sleep.

> And you're welcome to not be interested in, and totally
> disregard it (again: what else is new).

Unless there's a person who's clearly responsible for LSR -- as
I'm proposing that we make Phil -- that's a recipe for stuff never
getting fixed.

> But do keep in mind than some of us do care, and feel free to
> point people towards Phil or myself.

Great!  Phil doesn't (quite yet) have git access.  Do you still
have your old login, in which case could you do a LSR import?
AFAIK the instructions in the CG are still valid.

... or do you want me or Neil to do it?

Cheers,
- GRaham