Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (update)
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 18:51:36 -0700

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:57:38 -0700, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 03:13:05PM -0700, Keith OHara wrote:

> Why run an indenter over the entire repository?
1. newbies tend to trust that the existing material shows how they
should do things. 2. if we indent files in conjunction with patches, then each
patch
will display a huge number of irrelevant changes

Okay.  Best to choose a relatively safe tool, then, since it would be rather
unsupervised.

# add space before (, except in macro definitions
sed -i -e '/#\s*define/!s/\([)_[:alnum:]]\)(/\1 (/g' $*

 Does the fix-astyle-fiddle.py script work for you?

Python treats \1 as an escape sequence, so I pushed a change \\1 to your branch.

But we still need to skip over literal strings and such, so I adapted
   the tool scripts/auxiliar/fixcc.py
   in branch dev/gperciva-astyle
to call astyle instead of emacs for indenting.

I had to remove some pre-filtering that had depended on emacs being the second phase.
 I also removed some of the more scary stuff that fixcc.py was doing.
<http://codereview.appspot.com/4662074/>

I propose using this modification of fixcc.py for indentation of .cc and .hh
files.
-
Keith