Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Adapt fixcc.py to use Astyle instead of emacs (issue4662074)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 08:18:21 +0100

Carl Sorensen wrote Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:12 AM

On 7/4/11 11:32 PM, "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden> wrote:

Also, I tried to make the output of the modified fixcc+asytle pass
unchanged through emacs, but the very many cases of line-broken
asssignments will be different.

That's a problem.

  long_variable_name = first_term
    + second_term; // emacs

This is correct.

If we want to change the indentation, can't we do it with

long_variable_name = (first_term
                      + second_term);

and have Emacs indent it this way?

I prefer this indentation too.  If Emacs users forget
the brackets Astyle will indent it, but without the
brackets.  Can Astyle/fixcc be made to add brackets
to keep Emacs sweet?

Emacs users will forget to run fixcc

That won't do, sorry. Let's make it as easy as possible for non-Emacs
users; but choosing a coding style that Emacs does not support is
a no-go.

This seems reasonable.

Yes.

We can still opt for using the current astyle solution, just as
long as we see that this approach is a huge step forward and
recognise that astyle still needs some fixes (and request these
on the astyle development list).

This also seems reasonable.

Also yes.

Trevor