'git log --shortstat' hangs

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: 'git log --shortstat' hangs
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 21:32:22 +0200

I am sorry if this is too offtopic. When I do

  git log --shortstat | wc -l

git does not complete the process and refuses to give control back to
the user.  Tested with git 1.7.0.4 and 1.7.4.1, on two different
(large) git repositories.  The same happens if you type

  git log --shortstat

and hit the 'end' key in the less pager.  I have dumped the output to
a file and it just freezes and stops dumping.

Without the --shortstat option it takes a fraction of a second even on
large git histories.  Could anyone test it?

Thank you!
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com