Re: git-cl is down

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: git-cl is down
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:13:29 -0600

On 7/16/11 5:00 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 04:53:15PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> Why are we trying to eliminate git-cl?  What is the problem it causes?
>
> git-cl isn't the problem.
>
> The problem is that when I click on "download raw patch set" on a
> codereview issue, I get a raw patch set.  This loses the commit
> message and author, so I can't (easily) push somebody's patch once
> it's accepted.  So I need to email the author(s), or more recently
> Colin needs to track them down, ask them to send the patch to me,
> forward me the patch when they send it to him instead, etc etc.

But if we use git format-patch instead of git diff, then we won't have a
single patch; we'll have a collection of patches.

Typically, I'll create a set of commits as I work through the comments on
the issue.  Then, before pushing, I'll do a rebase to get a clean commit.

IMO, we should be aiming at one commit per Rietveld issue, rather than a
series of commits per Rietveld issue.

So I think there's more to it than what has been proposed so far.

Thanks,

Carl