GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (done)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP-PROP 3: C++ formatting (done)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 22:18:42 -0700

The updated was pushed in

An initial update of the CG was made in
but we'll probably need to fix up a few loose ends (IIRC we
discuss formatting in 2-3 different places in the CG; I'll have a
look at that early next week).  I'm not too fussed about that.

Nothing changes until 2011 Aug 01.  On that day, I will run on the entire lilypond source tree, check that it still
compiles, and then commit&push.

This will likely cause huge merge conflicts for any existing
patches.  If you have big changes, you should probably stick them
on a separate branch.  If you are going to start any major work,
you may want to run on your private branch(es) right now,
so that your private branch(es) will have the same formatting as
master after Aug 01.  Of course, this means that you might not be
able to request reviews of your patch until master has been

I note that git 1.7.4 (later than the version in lilydev) has
various strategies when doing a recursive merge, including
This might be extremely useful in sorting out problems, although I
doubt that all contributors have git 1.7.4+ installed and are
comfortable with that level of "git-ness".

I know this is going to cause a mess, but I think that a 10-day
window to (hopefully) get existing patches merged, then a one-time
period of confusion, will cause less trouble in the long run than
a gradual shift.

Also note that after Aug 01, patches will likely become difficult
(if not impossible) to backport to stable/2.14.  Fortunately, the
first release candidate of 2.16 will happen ASAP after the run (the only delay would be due to any open Critical