Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 3)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (probable 3)
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:19:57 -0700

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 05:17:23PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhold Kainhofer"
> <address@hidden>
> >To see the warnings, you'll then have to wade through thousands of
> >log files...
>
> make doc already produces hundreds of warnings.  It might be
> thousands, I've not counted.  I don't see anyone paying any
> attention to them.

+1.

If we have a log file, you can do neat stuff like
  grep "[wW]arning" doc-build.log
or even
  grep "[wW]arning" make-build.log | wc && if `cut -f 1 -` != 0;
then echo "reject patch for adding warnings"; fi;

if all that junk is somewhere in your terminal buffer, then you're
screwed.

Look, we lose NOTHING by saving stuff to a file.  If somebody
doesn't want to look at it, they don't need to.  If somebody
*does* want to look at it, it's there.  If somebody only realizes
that they wanted to look at something an hour after a build, it's
still there.

Besides, if you want that stuff in your terminal buffer, just go
ahead and do
  make VERBOSE=1
It's right there in the second point of the proposal.

> Please can we stop re-going over this and get to a point where I can
> do something?

+1 +1

I'm amazed that Phil's still willing to work on this stuff.