Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicgl

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicglyph
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:04:36 +0200

Am Monday 01 August 2011, 23:59:22 schrieben Sie:
> On Aug 1, 2011, at 12:12 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> > Why can't we have both auto-numbered and unnumbered footnotes at the same
> > time?
>
> This is doable, but let's say that a user did.
>
> \autoFootnoteGrob #'NoteHead #'(1 . 1) "bar" a1
> \footnoteGrob #'NoteHead #'(1 . 1) "*" "* bar" a1
> \autoFootnoteGrob #'NoteHead #'(1 . 1) "bar" a1
>
> Should the bottom of the page read:
>
> 1. bar
> * bar
> 2. bar

Yes, that's what I would expect. Number all automatic footnotes sequentially,
all other typically use a different symbol, so there is no confusion. To the
contrary, if "2" is missing among the footnote labels, that looks really
strange (and might even cause people to search for footnote 2).

My typical use case is to add a star/dagger footnote to a title/author, and
use numbered footnotes in running text (if I use lilypond for shorter textsin
the score.) It looks really strange if the footnotes start at "2".

On the other hand, it should be possible for the user to adjust the counter
manually, e.g. if he doesn't like the automatic order of the footnotes (but
doesn't want to do all number formatting himself). I haven't looked at the
patch, but is this somehow possible (e.g. by using a tweak or an override)?

An example of some undesired ordering is the other example I sent a few days
ago. The first system is utterly messed up (maybe a bug), but there are also
other "issues": The hairpin gets the footnote printed at the right end, but
since it started earlier than another footnoted grob, its number is lower than
a footnote printed before it.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * Edition Kainhofer Music Publishing, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com/