Re: Remove special case in staff-spacing (issue4188051)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Remove special case in staff-spacing (issue4188051)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 00:02:06 +0200

2011/8/3  <address@hidden>:
> On 2011/08/02 21:29:24, Janek Warchol wrote:
>
>> It does the things i hoped for for ages :)
>
> It merely restores the spacing rules LilyPond had through version
> 2.10.20 or so.

I began using Lily since 2.10.33 :)

> Now you are talking about changes beyond restoring the old behavior.
> One of us might have to take the train to the library and check what the
> engraving textbooks have to say.

Unfortunately i cannot be of any help here, because neither my own
library nor the library of a nearby Music University doesn't have
books about engraving :(

>> note-head-chord [...] it's gone a bit too far in this case.
>
> We could adjust the spacing parameters.  Do you think the gap is to
> small because it is between bar-line and note-head, as opposed to
> accidental?  or, is the minimum gap simply too small?

No, definately not!  I'd say it's an issue specific to whole notes.

> What rules would describe how you would space the score above?

I suppose i wouldn't treat suspended whole notes as "decorations"; in
other words, i'd put the same amount of space between them and barline
as with regular notes.
I think there is a more general question to decide, see "suspended whole notes".

>> predefined-fretboards-transpose [...] too crowded now.
>
> I agree, but the spacing parameters allow this.  Try
>  \new FretBoards \chordmode {c,2 c, c,1 c,}
> The code before the patch added extra space inconsistently.
> If we want to have the space consistently, we can
>  FretBoards #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 , 0.5)

ok, i'm fine with this.

cheers,
Janek