Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 10:11:13 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, August 06, 2011 9:31 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 03:13:33 -0700, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:

From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>

I agree, and want `make bin` to show me warnings.  I might have been
taking the proposal too literally.

I know no reason why it shouldn't. Have you tried putting code that emits
errors or warnings into /lily and running make bin?

Make does show warnings on the terminal right now.
  make -s bin
lets me find them, which makes me very happy.

Only after the proposal is fully implemented, will a successful build stop showing me the warnings.

There's no intention of stopping make showing errors. There is an issue with warnings - make doc produces so many that the output is pretty much unreadable, and they've been ignored for a long time - so having warnings turned off by default is the preferred option. We should allow them to be turned back on, though.

--
Phil Holmes