RE: NR 5.5.4 - Modifying ties and slurs

From: James Lowe
Subject: RE: NR 5.5.4 - Modifying ties and slurs
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 21:24:04 +0000

Hello,
From: Neil Puttock address@hidden
Sent: 07 August 2011 22:13
To: James Lowe
Cc: Lily-Devel List

On 7 August 2011 21:58, James Lowe <address@hidden> wrote:

> I guess that opens a whole new vista of questions - i.e. along the lines of
> how would I know that if its not documented in the IR

How is it not documented?

If I navigate to TieColumn,

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/internals/tiecolumn

there's a list of interfaces at the bottom, one of which is
tie-column-interface.  If I follow this link, there's a description of
tie-configuration:

---

Right. So why do I need to care about TieColumn? Why not just get straight to
desert and link to tie-column-interface - it's back-referenced anyway back to
TieColumn?

> Is what I put instead, factually incorrect and needs 'reverting'?

Well, we usually talk about properties belonging to a grob, so for
consistency, it would be preferable to keep the original (particularly
as the snippet in the LSR also has the same documentation).

---

Well I'm not sure we are that consistent. Also TieColumn is second in line (to
the engraver) of the whole chain of internals and the interface is third. So I
don't see the logic of linking to the Grob if the property you need to change
belongs to one, of often (too) many interfaces below it.

James