Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: Ugliness in the Learning Manual
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 21:36:34 +0100

Hi all,

>> 2) list all environment variables used (both internally and
>> externally) in the build system in the CG.
>>
>> Advantage: at least this knowledge is written down somewhere.
>> Disadvantage: the list will not be kept up-to-date.  (don't argue;
>> there's absolutely nothing you can say that will make me believe
>> that everybody will keep it up-to-date over the next 20 years)
>
> Think it's quite a bit of work, too.

I don't know anything about the build system, but isn't it possible to
do this automatically? Say, if you rename all lilypond-related
environment variables so that they start with LILY_ then why can't you
say something like 'env | grep LILY_' and put the output into the CG?
Please ignore if this doesn't make any sense, I haven't followed the
thread closely so I may be missing something.

Cheers,
Max

P.S.: Since Graham mentioned getting rid of environment variables:
only very recently have I started to appreciate the enormous value
they have once you work on systems where things are just slightly
different than what everyone considers to be standard because everyone
uses Ubuntu (I'm exaggerating, of course) - or even just for testing
different configurations on the same system. So personally I'd say try
to keep them if at all possible. Just my two cents.