Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 11:07:12 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden>

[snip very well argued case]

Reinhold,

I know you have many 10s of times more experience with lilypond than I do, and I agree with 99% of what you say... But...

The truth is, no-one pays any attention to warnings during the build process. If I grep the output of make for the word "warning" I get 380 lines in the middle of 37,000 other lines of output. Most of these warnings come from other parts of the build system, but no-one's looking at them. There are nine warnings from the code compiler:

/flower/file-name.cc:100: warning: ignoring return value of 'char* getcwd(char*, size_t)', declared with attribute warn_unused_result /lily/glissando-engraver.cc:124: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions /lily/lily-parser-scheme.cc:85: warning: ignoring return value of 'int chdir(const char*)', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
/lily/lyric-combine-music-iterator.cc:224: warning: unused parameter 'sev'
/lily/skyline.cc:395: warning: unused parameter 'a'
/lily/lexer.ll:634: warning, rule cannot be matched
/lily/lexer.ll:637: warning, rule cannot be matched
/lily/lexer.ll:706: warning, -s option given but default rule can be matched
out/parser.cc:2392: warning: conversion to 'short int' from 'int' may alter its value

If warnings are there to prevent code errors, why have these not been fixed?

In practice, displaying warnings on the console is a waste. It's really far, far better to put them in a file, where concerned individuals can grep the file, open it in an editor and view it, etc. I would have got nowhere understanding the build system unless I routinely redirected the build output to file.

That said, I am absolutely and completely in agreement with you that, should there be a build error, it should be immediately apparent that it has failed and what caused it.

Can I take this opportunity to request specific feedback on viewing the output of make? It's trivially simple to turn off with make -s, so it would be my proposal not to try to hide it in any other way, but to ask anyone who wished to lose it to use the -s option. Does that sound sensible?

--
Phil Holmes