Re: Issue 905: Gracefully ignore UTF-8 BOM in the middle of a file (issu

From: paconet . org
Subject: Re: Issue 905: Gracefully ignore UTF-8 BOM in the middle of a file (issue 4908043)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 20:07:49 +0000

On 2011/08/15 18:14:21, lemzwerg wrote:
Could you please tell me what this patch is good for?  A BOM not at
the
beginning of a file is no longer a BOM...

I don't oppose to emitting a warning if U+FEFF is encountered, and we
subsequently ignore it (since its use as zero width no-break space is
deprecated), but only within strings...

What am I missing?

The BOM is invisible and you can not be sure whether it is inside a
string or anywhere else.  In my experience, it is very common that
Windows users create/open/modify lilypond input files with the Notepad
accessory, maybe inserting new charachters at the very beginning, thus
inadvertently moving the BOM and obtaining failed compiles.  Moreover,
they are not able to fix the file because the BOM is invisible.  So, the
patch would be very useful in that makes the BOM transparent for the
lilypond syntax and the user could forget it at last.

http://codereview.appspot.com/4908043/