Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (probable 2)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 8: issue priorities (probable 2)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:59:30 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:20:02AM +0100, Ian Hulin wrote:
> 1. Some nit-picky stuff to make the proposal crystal-clear to
> skim-readers like me.
> See comments below embedded in the your original message text.

Thanks, all fixed.

> 2. I'd like to consider two types to use as additional info to the
> current ones: Type-User-development and Type-Developer-development.

Interesting idea, but I don't see type-user-development as being
useful.  If somebody wannts a certain behavior -- for whatever
reason -- then IMO that's a plain enhancement request.

I'll leave the door open to discussing this in a future GOP
proposal, though.  But right now I want to get the "remove
priorities" proposal passed without getting derailed.

> On 16/08/11 05:51, Graham Percival wrote:
> > ** Shutting up users
> This is a proposal.  It's a bit formal, so tone down your LilyPond lists
> persona a bit and call it something like
> "**Identifying user priorities"

But I don't care about user priorities... ok, I've changed this to
"reminding users about stars", and rewritten it in with a more
netural one.

> "We will remind users that they can 'star' issues which are important to
> them.  They may or may not be relevant to developing the project, or may
> need to be re-worked in terms of a suggested solution.  Using the star
> system will allow contributors to triage user-supplied issues and then
> tell the bug squad they intend to spend time on it.  The contributor
> then uses the Type-*** label to do this."

I used this instead:
We can remind users that they can @qq{star} an issue to indicate
that they care about it.  Since we resolved to treat developers as
independent volunteers, there is no expectation that anybody will
look at those stars, but if any developer want to organize their
work schedule according to the stars, they are welcome to do so.

I like the reminder about GOP-PROP 7.  (well, not an explicit
reminder, but it's still there in the "independent volunteers"
bit)

New version uploaded, and the final one will be tomorrow.