Re: oops! I've changed files in the `snippet' directory

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: oops! I've changed files in the `snippet' directory
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:38:24 -0700

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:59:32AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Files are completely rewritten from a makelsr import.  Whether or
> > not this is a problem depends on the changes that you've been
> > making.
>
> Well, I consider it a `problem' if fixes get completely overwritten by
> non-fixed files...

Then yes, it's a "problem".

> > Of course, these days nobody is doing lsr imports either.
>
> But makelsr gets called quite frequently (e.g. Jul 29th, Jul 20th, and
> you did it on Jul 16th)...
>
> Oh, wait.  It seems that `makelsr' is a misnomer.  The script actually
> takes care only of directories full of lilypond snippets, but it is
> not directly related to the LSR on the Italian host, right?  You
> essentially use it to transfer snippets from your local (translation
> or whatever) git branch into the trunk.

Oops, I see the uncertainty.  makelsr.py can be run "locally"
(which means just copying stuff from Documentation/snippets/new/
and updating translations), or with an "import" or "full import".
We haven't been consistent in how we indicate these in the git
changelog.

AFAIK the last "full import" was
  f47c92f6bb1148cf694883e688c8812417d5683e
  2011-07-05
but it's just possible that Neil did one in
  826b67718096de62e7564e19a05402740138398c
  2011-08-07

I would like to have a weekly "full import", though, so even if
Neil did one a few weeks ago, I'm still not happy with the level
of support that LSR is getting.

> > This might be made easier with a script, or at least if we cleared
> > out the old stuff from that "new" directory.
>
> And I've just remembered that the `snippets/new' directory refers to
> `new features' in lilypond, not to `new files'.

Ideally they only refer to "new features" or "changed syntax which
requires manual attention', but some developers might dump a file
into Documentation/snippets/new/ if they do not feel like using
the LSR web interface.  That's not precisely encouraged, but I'm
not going to discourage that if somebody really dislikes the web
interface.

> My conclusion is that it is quite safe to directly edit files in the
> `snippets' directory.  Relieved :-)

No, it is not safe.  Your changes will be elminated the next time
Neil (or Valentin, or anybody who cares about LSR) does a "full
import".  Historically, this only happens every 3-4 months, but it
should be happening much more often than that.