Improve language handling (was Re: Fixes missing images in big website p

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Improve language handling (was Re: Fixes missing images in big website page (issue 4964041))
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:48:59 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>

I don't mind having broken translations in the main documentation (IIRC
every language is broken in some respect), but I don't want the main
public website having a significantly broken translation.

I'd rather keep this list separate.  I suppose that technically it could
still be put into langdefs.py and define a list of "all translations"
and another list of "website-approved translations", but that would
involve a lot more playing with the build system and I don't think it's
worth it.  I guess I'm not opposed to it in principle, as long as the
build still works for all cases.

With a bit of work I've now got this so langdefs is imported for website builds both in the "normal" way and in the out-of-tree way we've just been discussing. So, if wanted, I could put up a patch for review that gets rid of the hard-coding of languages in make website. I think this would be a Good Thing, but am prepared to be told it's not. I understand the need to exclude languages for some reason - I'd suggest this was done with something like an ExludedWebLanguages list/variable in langdefs.py?

--
Phil Holmes