Re: GOP-PROP 11: git repositories

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 11: git repositories
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:02:40 +0200

Am Tuesday, 6. September 2011, 15:45:25 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> How easy is it to switch between the various git repositories?

It's really simple:

  git remote set-url origin [new-URL-comes-here]

Or if you want to keep the old, simply create a new remote:
  git remote add newserver [new-URL-comes-here]

You can then push/pull/fetch from "newserver" just like you did on the main
lilypond server (named "origin"). E.g.
  git push newserver master
or
  git fetch newserver

After all, that's one of the main objectives of distributed versioning systems
like git: They are not tied to one particular server. For example, I'm working
on lilypond on my home laptop and my office PC. I'm creating branches on both,
committing stuff on both and the fetch and push regurlarly between those two
computers (i.e. I have more remotes than "origin", and I do "git fetch --
all"). That way, I always have the state of the other machine readily
available on the machine I'm working on..

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886