Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:44:33 +0200

Benkő Pál <address@hidden> writes:

>>> my two cents: I always do that.
>>
>> Would you be tempted to use either
>> a) \relative f { x???
>> b) \relative f??? { x
>> (and which one?) if you realized it worked just the same?
>
> well, b) is nearer to my current idiom;
> I can see that a) has the advantage of not needing f at all,
> so the best would be
>
> \relative { x,
>
> (yes, I sing bass.)
>
> thanks for the suggestion, I stand convinced,

Seems like I am starting the wrong popular revolution.  I ask "Isn't
\relative f nice?" and people say "Sure, but let's call it \relative { }
instead, never mind that the name is taken."

You are the second in a row, and if I understand "Basso Profundo"
correctly (he has not followed up yet), his particular problem would
have been non-existent with that default.

Now I don't like having two different syntaxes for \relative, but I
guess Graham would kill me if I proposed just leaving \relative { ... }
in place with a new meaning.  He'd have to learn absolute note names,
and every existing Lilypond source would become invalid or change its
meaning.