Re: Another frog job: pepper the documentation with indexing commands

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: Another frog job: pepper the documentation with indexing commands
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:30:47 +0100

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 6:49 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> The documentation is not really indexed all that well: new additions
> often are made without indexing entries.  Going through the source and
> index and trying to make sure that interesting things can be found under
> obvious names in the index is a bunch of work requiring mostly editorial
> skills.

Here is a good (i.e. bad) example of inconsistent and, in my opinion,
'noisy' index entries. This comes from repeats.itely

--snip--

@node Written-out repeats
@unnumberedsubsubsec Written-out repeats

@cindex written-out repeats
@cindex repetitious music
@cindex repeats, written-out
@cindex repeat, unfold
@cindex unfold music
@cindex unfold repeat
@cindex unfold repeat with alternate endings
@cindex unfold music with alternate endings
@cindex alternate ending in written-out repeats
@funindex unfold

--snip--

Yes it's nice to have all the possible ways to say the same thing
indexed for the 1 user that might choose to look for 'repetitious
music' (!!) but please, isn't this just silly?

I don't have all the answers but I am sure we could standardize some
of the index entries.

Regards

James