Re: Adds StemTremolo to the note column's element list. (issue 5067041)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds StemTremolo to the note column's element list. (issue 5067041)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 20:48:09 +0200

On Sep 19, 2011, at 7:02 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> On 2011/09/19 05:45:04, MikeSol wrote:
>
>> While working on flags, I noticed that horizontal spacing changes when
> a grob is
>> part of a NoteColumn's element list.
>
>> I went back to StemTremolos and tested this out: run the code below
> with and
>> without this patch:
>
> I'm getting deja vu here Mike.  Wasn't this your original idea for
> fixing the collisions with tremolos?

Indeed, but it was my idea only because I had no clue what I was doing.  I
still have no clue what I'm doing, but I have a better sense how to frame that
about which I have no clue.

> Are you saying we need both the pure-height function *and* the addition
> of StemTremolo to NoteColumn's elements array?

Yup.  Or rather not that we "need" this, but that:

(a) StemTremolos in the element array result in different visual output from
their not being part of the element array; and
(b) Given that the stem, arpeggio, and flag are part of the element array, it
seems that the StemTremolo "belongs" to this family and should thus have the
same impact on spacing (meaning it should belong to the array).

What I'd really like to know is why the spring ideal and minimum distances are
different just by virtue of its belonging to the array, but I have a feeling
the answer lies deep in the bowels of the horizontal spacing code and I don't
have time to get to the bottom of that in the foreseeable future.  For now, it
seems like this is the right move to take.

Cheers,
MS