GOP-PROP 13: patch management tools (probable withdraw)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP-PROP 13: patch management tools (probable withdraw)
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 08:01:19 +0100

I don't see this "proposal" (really more of "a set of musings")
going anywhere.  There's been a bunch of ideas:
  - tool X, tool Y
  - make better use of our current tools
  - do a survey of what other projects do
but nothing has made a significant amount of people go "yeah, that
the right direction to move in!".

We're not getting closer to any kind of decision, and what's
worse, we're not even getting closer to figuring out how we would
make any kind of decision.

So I propose that we shelve this discussion.  If somebody feels
motivated and makes a detailed report about the benefits and
disadvantages of up various other tools, great; if somebody feels
motivated and makes a serious investigation of our *current* tools
(what capabilities are we missing, makes feature requests or bug
reports to the google overlords, etc), great!

If somebody is feeling optimistic about the discussion and thinks
I'm totally off-base on this, we can talk about that... but I'm
thinking that it needs some serious thought and energy, and at the
moment I think I should be putting my energy towards removing pain
points in our development for which we've already agreed on what
to do.