Re: Adapting Lilypond Rendering Engine for iPad

From: kieran coulter
Subject: Re: Adapting Lilypond Rendering Engine for iPad
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:39:14 -0700

Hi everyone,

I had a project involving Lilypond on the backburner for some time, the form factor just seemed to be off trying to use a laptop or desktop.

Now since the iPad came out I've been paying attention to Apple's restrictions on embedded code in submitted apps, and whether they can get approved.
It seems like they've relaxed those restrictions since 2010, but I could be wrong.

So I'd like to have a go at seeing what would be involved in getting Lilypond running in an iOS environment. I have a choice between using it, or NoteAbilityPro (that is being ported to iOS at this moment), but I like the output from Lilypond quite a bit more, so I want to try with it first.

What might be the main obstacles I would run into, and are any insurmountable? I would like to extend a project I would be adapting from a Max/MSP prototype, either in XCode (if I try to target iOS exclusively) or Visual Studio (via Marmalade, if I end up targeting multiple tablet platforms including iOS), either way, using Juce as my main library, a PDF reader, and hopefully Lilypond,

Thanks for any and all advice/info!

Kieran