Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5293060)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:09:21 -0700

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 22:19:41 -0700, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

Before this patch, the x_span of beams was only ever calculated between the
first normal stem and last normal stem of a beam (omitting any trailing beamage
on the left or right coming from breaks and/or stemlets).  If it has a
consistent slope, however, the x_span of a broken part of a beam should be the
whole length, as the trailing beamage on the right and/or left are part of the
length between two stems.  This is where the difference comes from.

I see.
When a beam is broken, and we ask for consistent-broken-slope, you are
imagining an extra stem at the breakpoint.
Then Beam::set_stem_lengths() returns the end-point of that imaginary stem, instead of
the last real stem, for use in "quantized-positions", because that made it
easier to match the heights of the broken beam.

When you say "what use-case will break when we choose consistent-broken-slope after
this patch ?", I'm not sure what you mean.

I saw that 'consistent-broken-slope changed the return value of x_span() for broken
beams, which was used in conjunction with "quantized-positions" for
Beam::print().  From that I concluded that either :
(a) the old return value was wrong, in which case I wondered why you corrected
it only sometimes, or
(b) the change would break something that used to work, and we would only
notice when 'consistent-broken-slope=#t.
I did not consider the possibility that
(c) you made a compensating change to "quantized-positions"