Re: Get rid of most of the insane string-tunings API (issue 5318046)

From: dak
Subject: Re: Get rid of most of the insane string-tunings API (issue 5318046)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 16:05:42 +0000

Reviewers: carl.d.sorensen_gmail.com,

http://codereview.appspot.com/5318046/diff/12002/input/regression/tablature-letter.ly
File input/regression/tablature-letter.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5318046/diff/12002/input/regression/tablature-letter.ly#newcode32
input/regression/tablature-letter.ly:32: stringTunings = \stringTuning
\notemode { <a d' f' a' d'' f''> }
On 2011/10/25 15:55:34, Carl wrote:
Why not just

stringTunings = \stringTuning <a d' f' a' d'' f''>

?

Music functions parse their arguments in the current mode.  Context
modifications are delivered in "initial mode" that knows no notenames
but can deal with identifiers containing hyphens, something which is not
possible in "note mode".

Why it would be a good idea to define identifiers for context variables
that can't be entered in notemode escapes me, but there you are.

Oh, and switching on notename conversions just in case is too expensive
anyway: whenever you switch on notemode, the current notename alist is
translated into a hashtable again.

At some point of time, I plan to permit mode-switching while scanning
music function argument lists.

At some point of time, I plan to decrease the necessity for all those
stupid different modes.

This point of time is not there.  Hence the example with \notemode to
avoid tripping users up all too bad.

Get rid of most of the insane string-tunings API

convert-ly rules are there.  Translations should compile again after
applying convert-ly, but of course the changes to text and examples
should be propagated eventually with the usual processes.

This is intended for dev/staging as soon as staging contains a
convert-ly-clean tree.

Please review this at http://codereview.appspot.com/5318046/

Affected files:
  M Documentation/de/notation/fretted-strings.itely
  M Documentation/es/notation/fretted-strings.itely
  M Documentation/fr/notation/fretted-strings.itely
  M Documentation/included/display-predefined-string-tunings.ly
  M Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely
  D input/regression/context-string-tuning.ly
  M input/regression/tablature-letter.ly
  M input/regression/tablature-string-tunings.ly
  M ly/string-tunings-init.ly
  M python/convertrules.py