lybook-db etc etc.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: lybook-db etc etc.
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 17:13:56 +0200

Well, I am currently in the process of running make info (similar to
make doc), and this is totally silly.

In my opinion, the whole lybook-db stuff needs to go.  Instead, Lilypond
is run _once_ for all snippets of a lybook source, generating _one_
PostScript file.  Then GhostScript is run _once_ to generate a bunch of
eps files, or a multi-page PDF file with all graphics in them which get
referenced as needed.

Bleedover of variables/fonts/whatever is not all that crucial since we
are talking about a single document source rather than an immaculate
database.

It may be useful to run every snippet in a parser clone of its own, then
only global changes bleed.

The resulting speed will be such that saving time via the lybook-db is
not a concern.  This would make the pre-push sanity tests so much easier
that it would not be funny.

And would definitely simplify the build system.