Re: lybook-db etc etc.

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lybook-db etc etc.
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 06:42:23 +0100

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 07:25:19AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 05:13:56PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >>
> >> In my opinion, the whole lybook-db stuff needs to go.  Instead, Lilypond
> >> is run _once_ for all snippets of a lybook source, generating _one_
> >> PostScript file.
> >
> > ... so instead of only generating snippets it needs, you want to
> > generate a full set of snippets for each language, thereby making
> > "make doc" take roughly 5 times as long as it currently does?
>
> Wrong.  Thereby making "make doc" do about 5 times the real work as it
> currently does, taking a fraction of the time.

Really?  if we have exactly the same @lilypond[] in
es/learning.tely and fr/learning.tely, how do you avoid
recompiling that @lilypond[] if you're running it on a
.itely_file-by-.itely_file basis?

maybe I misunderstood the initial proposal.

> >> And would definitely simplify the build system.
> >
> > I am against this right now.  We are in a complete mess, and we do not
> > need to add to that mess.
>
> Good argument against cleaning up.

Let me clarify that: "our development team is in a complete mess".

but whatever.  go ahead and write some patches.  as long as they
don't break stuff, i'm fine with pushing them.  if somebody wants
to complain, they can do so right now, or during the review phase.
unless john or jan speaks up in the next 24 hours, there's a good
chance that they'll reappear in 3 weeks asking "why is xyz
broken", and then we can have another fun round of hating each
other for the broken situation.

to emphasize: i don't know how the current system works, i don't
care, and i'm taking no blame if any work on this is rejected or
reverted in x days or weeks.  we are collectively horrible at
voicing objections to build system changes ahead of time, so any
work is done at your own risk.