Re: multiple issues with building docs (patch included)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: multiple issues with building docs (patch included)
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:16:53 +0100

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 09:13:02PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > At this very moment,
>> > - we cannot build releases
>>
>> Well, they _are_ development releases anyway.  While my computing
>> facilities are quite limited (single Pentium M of moderate speed), and
>> my testing probably not up to scratch, I'd be willing to churn out
>> minimal release material and test and commit staging to master
>> occasionally if things are doomed to a stillstand otherwise.
>
> oh, there's two other options: (not necessarily for you personally)
> fix these two Critical bugs:
>
> segfault in tablature-negative-fret.ly
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1997
> GUB problem with curl, SSLv2_client_method
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1998
>
> That would put me back in business, and I can totally abuse my
> desktop for compiling stuff.

./configure CXXFLAGS=-fno-crossjumping -fkeep-inline-functions

make check fails at the end with a weird error containing missing
instantiations of classes in flower, but other than that, it has made
things work for me again when I gave up on finding the segfaults that
had been plaguing me before.

There is no good reason for that: both options just make debugging
segfaults easier, but should not cause them to disappear.  But as they
change the memory layout, they will likely reappear at a different point
in time, seeing that they apparently are Heisenbugs.  And when they do,
I have better means of tracking them down.