Re: git cl config question

From: Adam Spiers
Subject: Re: git cl config question
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:07:51 +0000

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:41:55PM +0000, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:35:53PM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Graham Percival
> > <address@hidden> wrote:

> > No, the emacs thing is a red herring - that works fine.  The problem
> > is what happens after the editor quits.
> >
> >     EDITOR=vim git cl upload
> >
> > yielded exactly the same results.
>
> hmm.  Looking at the 'hg', my next guess is that git-cl is calling
> mercurial for some reasno.

Sure, that much was clear :-)

> git-cl is built on top of rietveld's "upload.py" script.  Rietveld
> was built around svn.  Google added mercurial shortly afterwards,
> but didn't add git until a few years later.  So git support is
> kind-of bolted on with duct tape.  Perhaps the upload.py portion
> of git-cl is deciding that you're working with mercurial, and then
> not finding a .hg or .bzr or whatever directory mercurial uses?

You were right.  upload.py has:

    def GuessVCSName():
      """Helper to guess the version control system.

      This examines the current directory, guesses which VersionControlSystem
      we're using, and returns an string indicating which VCS is detected.

First thing it tries is to run `hg root'.  In my case that was
erroneously succeeding, because for some reason I had an old ~/.hg
directory which should never have been there.

git cl upload now works great, and I've successfully created my first
Rietveld issue and corresponding Google code issue, as you'll see in
another mail arriving imminently.