Re: 2 pushes to dev/staging

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: 2 pushes to dev/staging
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:11:57 +0100

On Nov 24, 2011, at 10:07 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Nov 24, 2011, at 9:50 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>>

>>> So the question stays: what command did you execute on what branch?
>>>

>> I think I may have just fixed the problem - could you please check?
>> My branch was called dev/staging, so I executed git push origin dev/staging.
>
> Close, but no banana.  Now we have a branch dev/staging in our
> repository again.  I'll remove that presently.
>
> Try renaming your branch:
>
> git branch -m dev/staging staging
>
> (don't know whether you need to checkout a different branch first to be
> allowed to rename the branch).
>
> And after that,
>
> git push origin staging
>
> should work.

All went well with the rename and I did a git pull -r on the branch to boot
(which didn't pull anything, as staging has had no new additions within the
past hour-ish).

But then I got this:

address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ git push origin staging
To ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
 ! [rejected]        staging -> staging (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes before pushing again.  See the 'Note about
fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
MS